October 24, 2012

How Do You Work From Home?

"Well, your door is not shut," I exclaimed to Mike the other day as I had something I needed to tell him at that moment.

We are adapting to working from home, together. Our red room extends into the living room, dining room and kitchen area in a very open layout with over sized doorways (with no doors) into each room. Mike has always preferred to work on the back deck; or when it is too cold in the kitchen. I somehow overtook the desk in the red room and now use that as my office space.

I am still finding my rhythm of working from home. After the two and a half hours in the morning of getting the girls ready for school and to school, I arrive back home at 9 to start my day. By this time Mike, who took Maddie to school at 7:15 a.m., is already writing his daily blog (http://micheal-elliott.blogspot.com/).

Mondays are the hardest because everything I didn't do on the weekend, I always tell myself I can do on Monday....but...finally around noon I am ready to start doing things and it starts with lunch. Soon after that it is off to get the girls and take Cassidy to gymnastics. So work and housework never really seem to happen on Monday.

A regret filled Monday night leaves me working way past bedtime to catch up and Tuesdays begins with a great gusto of "I am ready!"

For awhile I will find my momentum and get many things done. Often as I find my groove, Mike decides it is time to come and give me a kiss. I stay focused on the computer and work as he tries to persuade me otherwise.

"Umm...didn't you see my door was closed," I often say to him as we both laugh.

I consider it a great blessing to be able to work from home running our own business
(http://www.letustellit.com/)  but it is also one of the hardest adjustments. Living five blocks from the beach doesn't help either. But who gets to do this?

Mike and I are creating a life that we both desire to have.

I am now living out my dream of working from home and being my own boss. Yet, it is scary and thrilling as most dreams-turned-into-reality are.

"The rhythm of a work routine from home will come," I tell myself as the sun bounces shadows across my desk from the palm tree dancing outside my "office" window.  The reflections on my desk make me look at my two to-do lists. The longer list being longterm items; the other today's list.

Seeing that five of eight things  are completed on today's list, I think it is time to check on Mike. Looks like his office door is open....

No comments: