May 23, 2013

You Actually Were Born to Fly

In the quiet of the morning I stood with my bare feet nestled in the soft St. Augustine grass that adorns our front yard. A very faint swishing noise catches my ear and I turn to glimpse an orange and black butterfly in flight. I watch this butterfly make loops in the air until it flies off beyond my view.

A few years ago the girls and I ordered a butterfly house and bought some butterfly eggs. We took care of the eggs and watched as they grew into caterpillars. The third stage of their life cycle was amazing as we watched the caterpillars reached their full length and form themselves into chrysalises.
 The chrysalises attached themselves to a branch in their butterfly house and began changing into butterflies. An amazing metamorphosis in the safety of their cocoon. Finally, we watched as butterflies emerged and unfolded their wings and gained strength to fly. In the end we released our butterflies into the great outdoors.

As I sit here and think about this process I am reminded of how we can relate life to the growth of a butterfly. We all start out and progress to a point until we find ourselves attached onto something--- here many of us get stuck.

We attach ourselves to the safety of a relationship despite the lack of love, to the security of a job that we have been in for years and years with no raise or challenge, to the familiarity of a place that we long have outgrown.
 

We stay clung to the branch sitting restless inside our cocoon because we fear the process of our own metamorphosis. We convince ourselves that it is okay. We become the greatest actors masking our wishes, dreams, and desires behind false fulfillment and a smile without joy.

Sometimes we know what we want but just can't find our way to get there. Other times life throws hell and more hell onto us that darkness overwhelms us and we muddle though each day the best we can. Some of us don't know exactly what we want; but recognize the restlessness within us to know we are not there yet.

It is okay. Most people choose to forgo finding their amazing and stay put.

For the past few years I have undergone my own transformation. Truthfully, I am still emerging. There are painful parts that I am still working through and learning to let go. There are days I want to crawl back into my safe place. It hurts. Yet, the peace I have found supersedes the pain and I continue my process.

A necessary painful exfoliation of fighting through the dark to get to the beautiful.

Others have decided it was their time too and I encourage them as they fight through their dark to find the strength to spread their wings and fly.

And God, it is beautiful to watch.

The truth is we all possess the strength to grow beyond our common and be the uniquely created being that we were born to become. Some just don't know how.

Born from our personal journey's and our desire to help others, Mike and I have spent a long time talking about what we could do. We finally realized that through the beauty of technology we could help others by offering online workshops and create an online supportive environment for others. A virtual cocoon of friends all working through their dark to emerge. After all, it's is always nice to know you are not alone.

When we released the butterflies from their house a few fought the new environment. Eventually though each one made it's way to full flight.

Are you ready?

Check out our first class starting in June focusing on Surviving Dark Times at www.meellc.com/services.

No comments: